Mum has taught me that there is no such thing as luck - just hard work and determination. She also reminds me that your health is paramount, and that begins with what you put in your mouth. My love for fresh, healthy and nutritious food stems from my Mum, and she has taught me that great fresh produce, planning and preparation are the key to a healthy lifestyle.
With this knowledge under my belt and a whole lot of love for my Mum and her wondrous ways, I feel it is time I started to look after her a little, since she has cared for me for so very long. My contribution? Food, of course. A nourishing breakfast each and every morning, to power Mum through her enormous days. The recipe below is made to Mum's taste, but is adaptable.
Raspberry Overnight Oats
Preparation time: 5 minutes
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup apple juice
1 cup plain natural yoghurt
2 cups frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight to allow oats to absorb liquid and for the flavours to combine.
2. The next morning, serve your portion of oats; you may wish to add a little additional milk and/or top with banana or more berries.
- You could use LSA mix instead of almond meal
- Chia seeds can also be added, however I would recommend adding extra fluid as chia seeds are highly absorbent
- Any type or combination of nuts could be used; Mum enjoys slivered almonds as a change from walnuts
- Sweetened dried cranberries are a sweet addition to this mix
- You can utilise any type of milk; I usually use full cream, though I have experimented with almond, quinoa and coconut milks
- Any type or combination of berries can be used
Ingredients for Raspberry Overnight Oats
Ok, so this really ain't pretty right now, but it will be when you're in a rush tomorrow morning
Topped with extra raspberries and ready to be enjoyed
These overnight oats are a really dense, nutritious breakfast which certainly powers you through the morning hours. Taking a little time to prepare this recipe over the weekend ensures you have no excuse to skip breakfast during the week. These oats are utterly delicious; Mum says she looks forward to eating them each and every morning, whilst I often enjoy a couple of dollops for dessert too! I hope you enjoy these oats, or enjoy coming up with your own delicious combination.
- Em xx